Sunday, March 9, 2008

sick and tired

Well we're still waiting for Bryn's full recovery. As I mentioned in my last blog, Bryn's been sick since last Sunday when she stayed home from the Student Council Carnival.

She stayed home from school Monday, but still went to her half-hour trombone lesson in the evening. Jeff had come home for lunch to check on her: headache, tired, achy. She checked her facebook. Today was also the first day of track practice - also very hard for Bryn to miss. A teammate told her that they had to make goals for the season and most girls wrote: to beat Bryn! That made her smile.

Tuesday she went to school only to call me from the health room at 9:30am. I was able to gather a couple projects and work from home the rest of the day. All for the better as Paige was already home not feeling well. That evening was my turn to drive to UWAY and I did so without my own daughter. My choice. I wanted to give Bryn up to the last minute to see if she was well enough to make it, but she remembered that it was so tiring just blowing for her lesson the night before that she'd never make it through a 2-1/2 hour rehearsal.

Wednesday we just kept Bryn home again. And she missed Jazz Band practice that evening.

I switched my Friday off for Thursday this week as the kids were off because of school conferences. So strange to schedule an off-day Thursday then have school again on Friday. Whatever. Bryn seemed a little better. Not so much sleeping, but still not 100%. We scheduled conferences with just a couple of each of the girls' teachers and they were all later in the afternoon. Because they overlapped, Jeff went to Paige's and I went to Abby & Bryn's. All good reports. I was so happy to hear from 2 of Abby's teachers that they're noticing more effort on her part.

Bryn tried school again Friday but ended up in the health room again - feeling nauseous and dizzy even when sitting through class. I got her back home, but had to return to work. I scheduled a doctor appointment for later that day. I was getting concerned because this was day#6 for Bryn not feeling well. Jeff took Bryn to the doctor which turned out to be a 2-hour visit. Dr. Richer did a blood test for mononucleosis and swabbed for strep. No mono. No strep. Just a virus. And a nasty one at that! Jeff and Bryn got home about 5:15, in time for her to eat a little something before her 2nd to last Road session with the driving school. The driving school pulled into the driveway to pick Bryn up, and Bryn couldn't make it. It was terrible to see her so sad. And the worst part is that because we have to reschedule this road session, Bryn will not be able to take her road test for her license this Wednesday. This sent her bawling up to her room repeating that her life sucks. I had to agree. I went online and rescheduled her road test for April 9th. in West Bend. Those appointments are so hard to get and we were so proud of ourselves for getting the initial one so close to her birthday... :( I watched a movie with Bryn that night while Jeff took Paige to her last basketball practice. Abby was out hottubbing with Alex and their friends.

This Saturday was Abby's Girl Scout troop's last installment of taking Brownies to the nursing home. This month we planned to play Bingo with the residents and supply prizes for the winners - what could be better than Girl Scout cookies! I was very disappointed to find out on Friday that Abby couldn't find someone to work for her. And we didn't get any Brownie troops to sign up! So I asked Abby and Dana to recruit some friends to help out. There's a regular caller so all we had to do was help residents and the staff pointed out who to attend to. This is a picture of my table. Then it was time for Paige's final basketball game. The day is really set aside for a tournament, but seeing as there were only two teams in her division all year, they only needed one game to determine the champion. It was a great competition, a low-scoring game. The girls played hard - we could notice even Paige getting tired. Paige scored 2 baskets! But her team ended up coming in 2nd.

And today is Miss Bryn's Sweet Sixteen. She will dictate what we are able to do today. I'm hoping we can get her out of the house for a bit. Typically I make them whatever they want for their birthday dinner, but we may have to postpone that til Bryn's tummy is more cooperative. Chicken broth and jello isn't what she really wants.

No comments: