Wednesday, March 26, 2008

disney here we come!

What a week! Every waking moment was spent making sure everything was ready for Abby and Bryn's band trip to Florida. We ran out to get swimsuits, suntan lotion, prescriptions, flip-flops, VISA gift cards, duffle bags.... and I washed like crazy! I'm not sure what cost more: going on the trip or getting ready for the trip. The rolling duffles we ordered from LLBean seemed to work out nice. Big enough and great to be able to roll when they can.

Bryn made a miraculous recovery and attended school and track practice everyday last week. She's anxious to participate in a track meet but she has to get through a full week of practice first. She was able to go along with the team to Racine on Thursday evening and help out with the distance runners. She liked that.

Good Friday began spring break from school. Kids were off, but I had to work. And who could believe the weather report? It was snowing pretty hard when I left for work, but 15 inches!!!! It's ridiculous! Just when we were beginning to see a little green! I left work at 1:00 and driving was a bit slippery. Abby and Bryn made plans to last-minute shop at the mall. I didn't want them driving so I took them. I was going to drop them off, but Mayfair won't allow unchaperoned teens after 2pm and I surely wasn't going to drive any further so I tagged along. They were quick but the snow was quicker - we got stuck in the unplowed parking lot. First Abby and Bryn pushed. Then Abby took a turn at the wheel and we finally got out. Boy was I glad to get home!

Saturday Abby and Bryn laid out all their things and did last minute doublechecking.

Sunday we rested and got to dine at the Taorminas. Mom and Dad were already there because Dad was helping with their basement remodeling. We had fun playing with Bella and Lucy, but Lucy wasn't her smiley self. Guess the teething's been pretty hard on her. We got home fairly early.

Abby and Bryn were bouncing off the walls Monday morning. They had to be at school at 11am. They both were nervously talking to each other about what they had packed, how they were going to talk to each other. I know I'm really excited for them. One of their band teachers set up a website where he'll be posting pictures throughout the week (link at right). Check it out (be sure to click on the Walt Disney World icon)! There are 150 students riding on 3 coach busses down to Florida. They could bring 1 medium suitcase - which was definitely a challenge for our Abby. Bryn pre-rented a surfboard for their day (Friday) at Cocoa Beach. Looks like they'll have beautiful weather.

I took off Monday and Tuesday. I wanted to see Abby and Bryn off Monday morning. Mom and Dad then came and spent time at my house. We headed directly up to Abby's room where we filled 7 trash bags! Of course, we found her camera and sunglasses she should've packed for Florida. Tsk! tsk! And I'm not sure if I should mention this here, but Abby has a drinking problem. That's right! We found no less than 11 bottles in her room. Water bottles. Must have a strange fear of dehydration. We didn't attack the closet, but her room does appear rather tidy now.

I stepped out to the Y right away in the morning. That was so nice. But I mainly wanted off work to keep Paige company. Remember her? She's the one who didn't get to go to Florida. So Tuesday afternoon she invited a few friends to go Rock n Bowl-ing (lights off, disco ball on). Meanwhile Jeff, Mom, Dad and I had lunch in bar. Paige had her friends over afterward which turned into a sleepover at Amanda's. Mom and I dug into Bryn's room and got it all spic-n-span. I had a Girl Scout meeting in the evening to prepare for a ceremony to honor Abby getting her Gold Award. It'll be Thursday, May 22nd. She'll also be honored by the Council May 14th.

Jeff took off today (Wednesday) and Thursday. Paige was a bit tired today, so they're going to try the batting cages tomorrow. She spent a good portion of the day organizing her Science portfolio.

No comments: