Sunday, November 9, 2008

No pictures to post. Paige had a week of WKCE testing at school. Schedules for all grades not testing are based around those that are so homerooms are extended so as to prevent students from passing in the hallways and disturbing the testers, volunteers are asked to provide water and granola bars to give the testers energy... Bryn was in a non-testing grade and got to go to school at 11:00 one day! While I kind of agree with the No Child Left Behind concept, this catering to those testing is just freakish.

Tuesday I drove Bryn's carpool down to UWAY because Bryn scheduled a listening session with the conductor to see if she can move up from last chair in her trombone section. Other students have done the same in their sections where they feel their placement is unfair. But this is unprecendented to move chairs during the season, so the conductor is listening, but I'm not sure if he'll actually make any changes. So while the kids were at UWAY rehearsal, I ventured to the downtown YMCA. It's on top of the Grand Avenue Mall! So the parking structure's well-lit with security and free with a voucher from the Y desk. This Y is unique because it's very long and narrow - like a mall. The running track forms the entire inside of the Y with classrooms and weight rooms all around it. I walked and watched the election results on the many TVs around the track. I'm glad to find that I have this option for when I drive again.

We had a company lunch Wednesday where my boss informed us that the company has enough saved to make payroll through 3 months even if we don't have any income. We're not that slow, but you can definitely feel the pinch. So I guess I'm good for 3 months! Jeff has commented that his work has had holds put on several projects as his work as well.

Friday Jeff, Paige and I headed downtown Menomonee Falls with friends to an art show/charity event held at a local coffee house. We were stunned when we saw how packed it was! At first Paige just wanted to leave, but luckily found a friend in the crowd.

I helped out at Bryn's Confirmation Retreat Saturday and Sunday. Wasn't sure what to expect as I was given no outline whatsoever. Turns out I was required to lead a small group like all the other volunteers. I'm not much for talking about such private matters, but figured the kids were in the exact same situation. We had some good discussions and I got to meet some great kids. I didn't bring my camera or my cell, which was really hard. Bryn and I are looking forward to a home-cooked meal and our own soft beds tonight.

No comments: